Teaching Experience Supervisor
What is a Teaching Experience Supervisor?
- A TES is an experienced, certified instructor who wishes to support instructor candidates (or Youth Leaders) during their training.
- A TES does not teach the instructor candidates; rather, they will assist the instructor trainer and help enhance the overall training experience by providing structured feedback to the candidate as she/he works through the teaching experience.
What will a Teaching Experience Supervisor do?
TESs will support and guide instructor candidates through their teaching experience and will evaluate them using new competency-based criteria and feedback guidelines. TES responsibilities include:
- Monitoring the instructors as they go through their teaching experience and provide helpful, personal assistance.
- Helping to create real classroom environments for instructor candidates so they’ll be prepared with both theory and practical skills when they are certified.
- Providing a supportive environment to help ensure instructor candidates confidently meet a consistent and high Red Cross teaching standard.
- Contributing to the socialization of newly certified instructors and help them feel part of the instructor network.
- Encouraging reflection, allowing candidates to develop their Instructor identity.
Who can apply to become a Teaching Experience Supervisor?
- Anyone 18 years and older and holds a current First Aid Instructor (FAI)-level certification.
- Anyone interested in enhancing the training experience for new FAIs so they, and the participants, get the maximum benefit from their courses.
What is the role of the IDC in the Teaching Experience Supervisor training process?
- Interested applicants will contact the Instructor Development Centre (IDC) to register for the TES course, inquire about cost and schedules, and ask questions about the process.
What course components are included in a Teaching Experience Supervisor course?
- The online component covers the process of how a candidate’s Teaching Experience will run, including what is expected of the TES and how to support a candidate. This should take candidates approximately 8 hours.
- The classroom component focuses on activities to give TES candidates actual experience in guiding and supporting Instructor candidates (eg: role-play activities and scenarios where the TES must apply his or her coaching skills). This should be scheduled for 7 hours of teaching time.
- Candidates will have to complete a skills evaluation prior to beginning the online component.
- Full course details and component breakdowns can be found in the First Aid & CPR National Program Standards.
- Valid as long as a CRC Instructor certification is current.
- Candidates are not required to purchase materials from original certification course unless the program has been revised.
Select Your Course
Blended Learning means on-line / in-class training. Instead of doing two full days in class, you would complete half the course at home or office and the other half in-class. Participants must first complete the self-paced online component, which includes a knowledge evaluation, then successfully complete an Instructor-led classroom component (skills practice and evaluation session) in order to achieve certification. Currently, we offer Standard First Aid CPR/AED C or HCP and CPR/AED C or HCP.
Heart to Heart offers a few varieties of discounts.
When you choose a course and date you will see a drop-down menu listing our Student Discount prices. Be sure to click on the Student Discount price and bring your student ID or any proof you are a student to the course.
In the same drop-down menu you will see our "Bring A Friend" prices - if you have even more friends that want to come, please contact our office and we will either honour the same price or extend an even better discount.
If you organize a group and have over 8 participants, we can come to your location. Inquire with our office and we will send your desired course description with our group price breakdowns - basically, the more participants you have, the cheaper the price. For groups less than 7 participants, we can book your group into any of our public courses, and you will still receive a great discount. For more information, see Group Bookings or Book a Group above OR contact our office.